In Australia it was pedestrians and skateboards. In Mallorca it was sports cars and yachts. In London it’s bodies, busses and bikes; one cannot move for tripping over the things. The amount of brainpower, of concentration… it takes to navigate a couple of streets; to walk from position A to position B without something heinous or nefarious manifesting, is actually quite exhausting. For me, especially. Sensitive to the environment, to the ebb and flow of its energies: these things pierce the skin, going deep. At times, I actually feel traumatised by it. And often I pine for my other life – the old one, the one left behind. I’m pining now, as rain invades yet another day and July steps even closer to its inevitable end.
So how does one cope in an environment where the pace is ‘all go’ and the attitude aggressive and heavy? How do you walk through the swell of the heaving thicket without incurring misfortune or injury? Lost to phones and worries and work, bills to pay and deadlines to meet… today’s commuters are imprisoned, bereft of awareness to anything ‘other’, ‘external’ or ‘else’.
I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, because it’s solution is vital to my health. My body needs movement, light, air. My mind needs change of environment, scenery, interaction with self and head. My soul needs contact with the world outside my flat: new things, familiar things, things with happy energy, things that light me up. And yet these ‘lights’, especially lately, have started to really hurt, causing me to suffer even as I repair.
So I’ve thought and I’ve fought and I’ve researched in depth and I’ve trialed and tested as well and I’ve discovered some things, which, although by no means a cure, are useful as both bandage and a shield.
My discoveries are as follows… Feel free to dip in and out and use at will, and to respond with suggestions, alternatives and feedback. This is important work and I have a genuine interest in its solution.
BEFORE STEPPING OUT
Things to do before leaving the sanctity of your residence.
The Protective Bubble: Every morning before you go out, take a moment to go inside and ground yourself. Begin by closing your eyes and sinking into your body, sending your feet into the floor, your head into your heart. Now, taking several deep, focused breaths, relax any tension and release any thoughts. Next, imagine a bubble of pink light above your head, big enough to fit you. Pull it down over your body until it surrounds you and then push it out several inches. Surround it in a thin layer of silver, more like a coating, a skin. Then draw an even-armed cross in front, behind, to your left and to your right, above your head and below your feet. Make these crosses gold. Feel the energy of the pink bubble, the protection of the silver skin and the love of the gold crosses. Absorb this feeling and you know that you are safe.
The Impenetrable Cloak: Call upon Archangel Michael (or, if angels aren’t your thing, who or whatever works for you: your guardian, your guide, your spirit animal, your higher self, the power of universe, the love of the earth, the grace of God, etc…) Ask to borrow his (or their) cloak. Picture it wrapped around you, covering your body from your neck to your feet. Give it a hood. Pull it up. See yourself standing in front of a mirror in the cloak. Know that while you wear this cloak, nothing can touch you, nothing can get in. Strengthen it daily and it will be like your new best friend. And give thanks for it too. And give it back after each outing, that way you remain respectful to the process and the gift.
The Enlightened One: Sit in your ‘special‘ space. Play some gentle music. Light a candle or some incense. Close your eyes and travel inside. Slow your breath, clear your mind, ground and centre your body. Remain until you feel calm and clear and ‘zen‘.
The Extra Enlightened One: Repeat the above. Then continue as follows… Imagine a hoover or a hose positioned high above your head coming down to you from heaven(or from your ‘place-of-choice-most-sacred’, if you are not a heaven fan). Allow it to enter through your crown, to turn itself on, and to start to slowly suck, gently removing any dark or heavy energy, anything that is unwanted and stuck. Permit it to continue, moving deeper into until it has cleaned every undesirable out. Then switch the button, which you now see positioned on the nosle, transforming the ‘In’ of the breathe into an ‘Out’. See a stream of white light emerge – like a jet of water if you were watering a garden. Send it into every organ, every appendage, every ligament and cell. Sense it filling you up: with energy, with charge, with power. Finish with the ‘Impenetrable Cloak’ or the ‘Protective Bubble’.
AFTERWARDS OR IN THE EVENT
Things to do upon returning to your residence, arriving in another space, or in an emergency ‘spur of the moment’ moment.
Shaking it off: When animals experience a shock or anything unpleasant, they shake. Watch and you will see. Dogs do it all the time, the small ones especially. This is because they have an awareness of their regulatory system and a knowledge of what their bodies need. And, unlike us, they are grounded and exist in the moment. Like dogs, we too can apply this practice and there are several ways. Choose whichever one appeals the most, feels the best to you, or fits your environment.
1. The simple shake: Imagine you are nervous or experiencing a caffeine crash. Recall how certain parts of your body trembled of their own accord. Take this remembering and apply it (the shake without the emotion) to whatever part of your body feels traumatised, challenged or tense, thinking about the incident that caused you to feel this way. Shake/tremble either consciously or unconsciously until it feels like it has all been discharged. You can speak or remain silent, be gentle or be rough. It’s improvised: do whatever fits, the freer the better.
2. The full-on shake: Do the same as above: just up the energy, allowing your entire body to express itself; revealing not only the tension and trauma of the moment but that which has also been absorbed and suppressed. Let go: spilling the years, clearing the backlog. Keep going for as long as you are comfortable to do so. Make it as big or as small, as loud or as quiet, as external or as internal as you like. Sometimes, just imagining it works. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Then thank it by giving it a hug or placing your hands over your heart, feeling the power of your own self-love.
3. The ‘real deal’: This one is the actual exercise shown on the TRE website. Start by preparing your space: a blanket on the floor, a pillow at its head, closed curtains or blinds, low or no lights, a candle or incense, music.
Step 1: the forced surrender
• find a clear space of wall
• stand with your back against it
• squat as if you are sitting on a chair
• hold this position for 1-2 minutes or as long as it takes to respond
Note: it is supposed to hurt, you are supposed to shake, this is the point.
Step 2: the passive surrender
• lie on your back with your legs bent, feet together
• allow your knees to fall open as wide as they wish to go
• relax your arms, letting them rest by your hips, several
inches from your body
• have your palms facing up, hands slightly curled
• allow quivers or tremors to express as they like
• if it gets too intense: take a break, extending your legs straight out,
then bring them in again and continue
• change position as you see fit and continue for as long as you like
At the end, lie in a relaxed position for several minutes. Be patient and wait, even if it feels like nothing is happening. This is not an acquired skill: it is something that is already there inside you but which you have forgotten how to do. The key is to let go, to surrender.
For tips, see the official homepage or try YouTube.
Smudging: Simple and effective, this is one of the most powerful tools you can use to cleanse yourself of negative energies or influences. You will need a smudge stick, an abalone shell and matches or a lighter and a feather, all of which can be bought from most ‘new age’ shops. You can also use incense, clearing sprays, or your hand. The general idea is to sweep your body from top to toe.
How to use a sage or cedar stick:
• place the stick on the shell and light the end
• extinguish the flame once it has begun to smoulder
• take the feather (or your hand) and wave the smoke towards you
• start at your head and work your way down to your feet
• relight and repeat as many times as you need to clear yourself
• be mindful, taking care to stay well away from fire alarms,
thoroughly extinguishing all embers at the close
Angelic Repair: Lie in a comfortable space (ideally a quiet room on a bed or a sofa) or simply stand with your eyes closed. Ask Michael or Raphael to come to you and to heal you – removing any tension, stress, negative emotion or sensation, and any chords. Feel the weight lift as they suck the tension out of you and cut the chords. Then feel as they fill you back up with white light and stroke you down with their breath, soothing the edges of the newly severed chords. Finally, picture them embracing you in their wings and feel the power of that love.
I wish you much fun experimenting, much joy discovering and much healing and relief in the execution of these processes.
by Rebecca L. Atherton
To be healed is having an awareness that you were never broken
To keep up to date with my progress and receive love and light in your inbox, send me your email address.
• Ask me a question or book an appointment
• Buy remedies, healing aides and helpful accessories
• Check out my Etsy Shop to see what else I do