- Has creativity ever brought you comfort during a difficult time?
- Has starting a new project helped you to feel more grounded and settled within your immediate environment?
- Have you noticed how you feel better after talking to someone, (especially if that person is a good listener or a close friend)?
Often the meditative and creative aspects of craft work (that done with your hands) can be ‘just what the doctor ordered’ when it comes to coping with life challenges, and this is equally true of knitting.
In addition, talking about a problem can bring relief and deliver us closer to a resolution – especially if accompanied by a professional ear qualified to offer guidance and advice. With very little investment, clarity, closure and a fresh perspective can be achieved in areas where things have previously remained stuck.
Yarn Therapy provides a safe and nurturing environment where individuals can experience the benefits of counselling and psychotherapy while they sit and knit. It is especially good for those who find it hard to trust or open up and those who are reluctant or unable to connect to the emotion attached to a trauma.
Knitting is the ideal portable self-soothing tool, enabling stress, anxiety, difficult emotions and fear of social situations to be managed in the moment.
In addition, it can also be beneficial to a whole range of physical and psychological issues, including:
- Blood Pressure
- SAD (seasonal affective disorder)
- Panic Attacks
- Generalised and Social Anxiety Disorder
- Pain Management
- Relationship Problems
- Family Discord
- Anger Management
- Eating Disorders
- Adjustment Disorder
- OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)
- PTSD/S (post traumatic stress disorder/syndrome)
Knitting also helps individuals to:
- Alleviate tension, anxiety and stress
- Learn to relax
- Clarify thinking and reduce emotional turmoil
- Build self-confidence and self-esteem
- Strengthen focus and improve concentration levels
- Ease transition and change
- Prepare for exams and interviews
- Foster assertiveness
- Set and achieve goals
The process and what to expect:
Sessions are split into two distinct halves: beginning with knitting and gentle discussion, and closing with some action-orientated healing work. Former experience of the craft is unimportant as those with no prior knowledge will be taught the basics * when we first meet. But remember: it’s the process not the end product that we are interested in, so dropped stitches and irregular tension are all perfectly ok. They make what you create even more beautiful, because it is a direct reflection of your courage, journey and healing.
* For those who can’t wait to see me to try their hand at knitting, I have included pictorial guidance of the basics at the bottom of this page.
Time: 11 am – 12.30 pm
Place: at my home in Palma de Mallorca *
Price: €40/person, to be paid in advance
* 3 mins walk from el Corte Inglés, Jaime III
Please note, sessions are only available by prior appointment. Contact me to register your interest and arrange a time.
Benefits: 10 reasons why knitting is good for you
- Research shows that the rhythmic movements of knitting induce a state that is similar to that obtained during meditation.
- Knitting encourages feelings of peace and relaxation.
- The repetitive movements of knitting are proven to elevate serotonin levels in the brain, which in turn enhances mood and helps to provide relief from pain.
- Knitting is good for coordination and memory, with those who practice it reporting noticeable improvements.
- Knitting can be used to break the cycle of bad habits, providing a constructive and enjoyable alternative for the body and the mind.
- Knitting is a wonderful hand exercise, which can improve function and coordination for a whole range of conditions, including RSI and arthritis.
- Knitting alongside others fosters a sense of belonging, enabling people to come together, communicate and make friends.
- Having a purpose and a structure motivates people to be active. It gives a sense of achievement when tasks are completed or new skills learnt.
- With a sure outcome that can be planned, knitting can give control over one area of life in an environment where everything else may be in turmoil.
- Accessible any time and in any situation, knitting is the ideal portable, self-soothing tool.
- Knitting encourages individuals to think creatively and to plan, prepare, organise, co-ordinate and control just one small aspect of their life which, in turn, makes other changes more manageable.
- Knitting is the ideal socially-acceptable self-soothing tool, which can be done anywhere, at any time.
- Knitting induces a form of meditation which leads to a deep appreciation of the present and encourages feelings of relaxation and calm.
- Knitting can be done by people of all ages and skill sets and can help with a wide range of physical and mental conditions.
- Knitting therapy is a gentle, non-invasive process, especially effective with those who find it hard to trust or open up.
For more information, please see:
I hope you will trust to your intuition, follow your inner compass and that in doing so we will meet.
The basics to help you get started:
To be healed is having an awareness that you were never broken
To keep up to date with my progress and receive love and light in your inbox, send me your email address.